The management crisis at the National Transmission and Despatch Company (NTDC) and the ensuing delays in tendering and finalization process is costing the country dearly especially due to the recent hike in dollar prices against rupee.
The projects currently affected by this include:
- Lahore North switching station: ADB-300A-2018: Procurement of Plant Design, Supply, Installation, Testing and commissioning of 500/220/132kV Lahore North substation and Extension Works at 500/220/132kV Nokhar- during last 38 months, during which the NTDC has not been able to decide this tender.
- 500kV Maira Switching Station ADB-300B-2019: Procurement of Plant Design, Supply, Installation, Testing and commissioning of 500kV Maira (Abbottabad) Switching Station. This was delayed by two months which has resulted in an increase of $7.7 million in price.
- 500kV Nowshera Substation: Wb-05A-2020: Procurement of Plant Design, Supply, Installation, Testing and commissioning of 500kV Nowshera substation. This project has been delayed by more than 9 months.
- Procurement of 220kV Transmission Line Equipment: TLM-13- 2021: procurement of Non-Ceramic Composite Insulator strings for 220kV Transmission Lines associated with 220kV SEZ Dhabeji G/s. This project was shelved and it is expected that more tha 20% increase will be witnessed in retendering process.
- Procurement of transmission line material (220kV), tender No. WPP-14-2019 LOT-I, procurement of material for 220kv and 132kv transmission lines associated with evacuation of power from wind power projects in Jhampir clusters.
- Procurement of transmission line material (500kV) Tender No. TLM-09M-2019 for procurement of material for 500kv D/C quad bundle transmission line from Thar coal block-1 to Matiari converter station for power evacuation from coal power plants. NTDC took 10 months before scrapping the tender on account of internal dispute.
- Procurement of transmission line material (500kV) Tender No. TLM-11-2021 for procurement of material for 500kv double circuit quad bundle transmission line from Thar coal block-1 to Matiari converter station for evacuation from coal plants. This tender was scrapped after 7 months.
- EPC 220kV Transmission Line Project: ADB-301C: Procurement of Plant – Design, Supply, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of 220kV Overhead and Underground Transmission Lines Lot-II. Again NTDC failed to complete the evaluation in time
- EPC 220kV Dhabeji (Thatta) GIS Grid Station NOR-112R-2021: Plant Design, Supply, Installation, Testing and commissioning of 220/132/11kV GIS S/s Dhabeji on Turn-key Basis under own resources. NTDC has not completed the evaluation procedure of the project and has been cancelled two times.