A tripartite agreement has been finalised for the implementation of 1,124-megawatt Kohala hydroelectric power project in AJK under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) framework. The agreement is between China Three Gorges Corporation, the government of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) and Private Power and Infrastructure Board (PPIB). Expected Commercial Operation Date (COD) of the Koala hydropower project is 2026
The particulars of the Kohala hydropower project were introduced in the 127th assembly of the Private Power and Infrastructure Board (PPIB) chaired by Energy Minister Omar Ayub. The project will be constructed on the Jhelum River.
The progress of the project according to the official government website is
- Feasibility Study (stage-1) Tariff Announced by NEPRA
- Land Acquisition process started
- Environmental NOC issued by AJ&K EPA
- LOS issued (Under Financial Closing)
- Expected Commercial Operation Date (COD) 2026