NeoGearTM low-voltage switchgear – a technological breakthrough by ABB – is safer, smarter and more sustainable, maximizing efficiency and reducing costs for tomorrow’s digitalized industries.
- ABB has reimagined switchgear – essential technology for safe energy distribution and motor control.
- NeoGearTM is a future-proof, digital solution that brings new functionality, productivity and efficiencies to industrial infrastructure in an electrified future.
- Breakthrough laminated bus plate technology, which until now could be found in aircraft, automobiles and on space stations.
ABB is a leading global technology company that energizes the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. By connecting software to its electrification, robotics, automation and motion portfolio, ABB pushes the boundaries of technology to drive performance to new levels. With a history of excellence stretching back more than 130 years, ABB’s success is driven by about 110,000 talented employees in over 100 countries.
ABB’s Electrification Business Area is a global leader in electrical products and solutions, operating in more than 100 countries, with over 200 manufacturing sites. Our 50,000+ employees are dedicated to delivering safe, smart and sustainable electrification. With ABB AbilityTM enabled digital solutions at its core, our portfolio protects, connects and optimizes the flow of electrical energy for smarter electricity distribution for utilities, industry, buildings, infrastructure and mobility.
ABB’s low-voltage switchgear has been the product of choice since 1972. With NeoGearTM ABB introduces the next innovation leap in switchgear technology for safe, smart and sustainable electrification.
NeoGearTM is ready to help customers across process industries to manage changing external dynamics and realize new opportunities in their working environments. Central to NeoGearTM is its laminated bus plate technology, which replaces traditional horizontal and vertical busbar systems. This innovative bus plate technology provides e.g. arc safety by inherent design. Combined with the connectivity and intelligence of the ABB AbilityTM platform, NeoGearTM is an unrivalled solution for industry.
Committed to writing the future of safe, smart and sustainable electrification, during 2020 ABB Electrification Innovation Week, ABB launched NeoGear in China: a revolution in low-voltage switchgear and the first the electrification industry has seen for more than three decades.
Successfully trialed at sites across Switzerland and China, NeoGear deploys ABB’s laminated bus plate technology, which replaces traditional horizontal and vertical busbar systems.
The innovative bus plate technology combined with the connectivity and digital capabilities of the ABB Ability™ platform, make it an unrivalled solution. NeoGear is the safest option for operators with no exposure to live parts. It reduces the physical switchgear footprint by up to 25 percent, increases cooling efficiency to reduce heat losses by up to 20 percent, and reduces overall operational costs by up to 30 percent, due to more efficient condition monitoring.
This hardware development is complemented by advanced digital capabilities. Digitalization is changing how industries use electricity in their machinery, factories and operations: driving them to extend the lifecycle of their assets; modernize equipment to improve safety and efficiency; and to shift towards more sustainable and responsible business models.
Against this backdrop, the ABB AbilityTM enabled NeoGear provides a complete and scalable solution for new projects, system upgrades or migration from legacy systems, to innovate and prepare for the future of electricity distribution and motor control.
NeoGear’s digital capabilities include real-time condition monitoring and predictive maintenance, remote assistance, fault and solutions diagnostics and data analytics for Industry 4.0. ABB Ability™ Condition Monitoring for on-site electrical systems is included, helping customers gain operational efficiency and bring unprecedented flexibility.
- Revolutionary design eliminates hazardous exposure to live busbar parts (Arc ignition protected zones) and keeps maintenance personnel safe
- Reduced risk of arcs caused by mechanical failures slashes maintenance down time
- Up to 92% fewer busbar parts compared to traditional busbar systems
- Up to 25% shorter switchgear footprint due to higher module stacking density reduces CAPEX cost for switchgear rooms
- Up to 20% less heat dissipated saves energy and lowers cost thanks to excellent cooling efficiency
- State of the art module contact system design for high performance and durability
- Modular low voltage switchgear with performance options up to 400/415 V, 3200 A and 80 kA
- Certified type tested design according to the IEC 61439-1/-2 and IEC 61641 Ed.3
- Passive arc protection criteria 1 to 7, tested acc. IEC TR 61641 Ed.3 up to 400V, 80kA, 500ms
- Laminated bus plate technology for busbar system up to 3200 A/80kA 1s
- Withdrawable and plug in functional units for motor protection or energy distribution
- Future release phase will cover higher ratings and increased functionalities
- Integration of temperature sensors for critical busbar joints at air circuit breaker (ACB) incomer termination and power contacts of functional units
- Current and voltage sensing through ABB’s smart electrical devices such as motor controller M10x or UMC100.3 and circuit breaker Emax 2 and Tmax XT and more
- Integrated data collection and data analysis with ABB Ability™ Condition monitoring for electrical systems for onsite access through secure browser technology
- Connectivity to your plant monitoring and control systems using Serial (Modbus RTU, Profibus DP) and Ethernet-based protocol (Modbus TCP, Profinet, IEC 61850)
- Cloud-based monitoring option with ABB Ability™ Asset Health for electrical systems
For more information visit https://go.abb/electrification